From 1st October 2018, patients are able to book routine evening and weekend appointments with GPs, Nurses and Health Care Assistants. This is a new service provided by the West Cambs GP Federation available to all patients in the area 7 days a week at four different sites, Acorn Surgery, Buckden Surgery, Cornerstone Surgery in March and Cromwell Place Surgery in St Ives. You can make an appointment at any of these 4 sites, and not just the one you are registered at or is nearest to home. To book an appointment, contact us on 01480 483100 and we will book this for you at your preferred site. The clinicians who will be working these evening and weekend sessions will have access to your medical record and will feedback the consultation to your own GP Practice.
At the Acorn Surgery we run Primary Care services in General Practice. We work within multidisciplinary teams (MDTs) supporting the holistic care of any patient. This includes Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Midwives, Health visitors, Assistant Practitioners, Healthcare Assistants, Community Opticians and Physiotherapists (via physio direct).
More than 40% of a Doctor's consulting can now be done over the telephone, rather than in face to face encounters, with the shift to using different media is likely to expand in the future. This is what has led to our current appointment system.
Practice Nurses have become significantly more skilled over recent years and are now providing services to patients that were previously delivered by GPs.
Training and development initiatives within the nursing profession have led to the creation of roles such as Nurse Practitioners and Independent Nurse Prescribers.
We have appointed two Advanced Nurse Practitioners to share the workload with the GP’s.
According to Pulse magazine (http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/home/finance-and-practice-life-news/gps-have-almost-twice-the-safe-number-of-patient-contacts-a-day/20035863.article), GPs in the UK have an average of 41.5 patient contacts every day – 60% more than the number considered safe by European GPs.
At the Acorn, GP’s have on average more than 60 daily patient contacts, including face-to-face and telephone consultations, home visits and e-consultations.
Some days GPs have up to 70 patient contacts a day. A leading European GP forum has recommended no more than 25 contacts a day.
How to make an appointment:
* Call 01480 483 100 between 08:30 to 12:30 and 14:00 to 17:30. Emergency calls will be taken between 12:30 to 14:00 via our emergency line.
* Come to reception desk at the surgery between 08:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 18:00 to request a clinician telephone consultation
* Some pre-bookable telephone consultations will become available online.
To cancel an appointment:
* Call our dedicated cancellation line 01480 483 133 you will get straight through.
* Cancel online using your personal login details.
We initially offer same day and advance booking telephone consultations with a qualified clinician. This enables us to offer the most appropriate care for our patients with the most appropriate clinician. Enabling the patient to see the clinician of their choice with some flexibility on when and where.
The clinician on duty will ring the patient back and conduct a consultation with them over the phone. If the clinician needs to see the patient, they will book a face to face appointment on the same day if necessary or at a later date as appropriate.
Telephone consulting prevents patients having to attend the surgery when they don't need to and can be much for convenient, particularly no examinations required
However, all patients are able to have a face to face appointment if they prefer and the doctor will be happy to make this during the consultation on the phone.
- Once all our routine appointments have been booked by patients, move to an emergency triage list. If you need urgent advice, the Receptionist will take some details from you and make you a telephone appointment with the Emergency Doctor or Nurse who will contact and agree appropriate management plan with you.
- You can expect to be asked a few simple questions by our reception team regarding your problem so that this information can be passed to the clinician.
Practice Nurse Appointments
- We have pre-bookable as well as book on day appointments available with our practice nurses.
- Practice nurses are qualified and experienced in dealing with many conditions, including minor illness, minor injury as well as long term and chronic conditions such as asthma, diabetes, COPD and hypertension.
Checking in when you arrive:
- To ensure that you meet your appointment time and to save you queuing at reception, it is quicker to use our check-in screen situated to the right of the reception desk.
- Simply follow the on-screen instructions and take a seat!
- You will be called automatically by the doctor or nurse to the appropriate consulting room - keep an eye on the board in the waiting room for your name.
- We text appointment dates and time reminders to patients on their mobile phone
- If you do not wish to take advantage of this service, please let one of our Reception Team aware.